Hunstein Resource Center
A new one-stop source to stay up to date on all things Hunstein.
On April 21, 2021, a three-judge panel in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit released an opinion
in addressing the interplay between the requirement in Reg F that debt collectors not communicate a debtor’s personal information to third parties, and the use of third parties such as letter vendors. You can read the court’s decision at this link: Hunstein v. Preferred Collection and Management Services Inc.
Click on the title just above to access a short primer provided by ACA explaining what the opinion said and why it might matter to your business.
ACA Playbook: What To Do if You Get Sued Under a Hunstein Theory
With Hunstein copycat cases cropping up at an alarming rate and variations on the theme emerging as the plaintiff’s bar conducts its speculative penetration testing in state and federal courts across the nation, every agency must understand how to competently handle a Hunstein copycat case.
Hunstein: Where Does It Stand?
If you’re tracking the Hunstein decision and its fallout, you’re probably wondering: What is going on with the opinion? Where does it stand? What is ACA doing?
If your agency needs financial support to fight a claim when the time comes to do so, reach out to ACA’s Industry Advancement Fund (IAF) for financial support by emailing IAF@acainternational.org. The IAF exists for exactly this reason, so don’t be shy about reaching out to make an inquiry and seek guidance on submitting an application!
Legislative & Regulatory Advocacy
Information to share with Congress:
Briefs in Support of Rehearing by Preferred Collection and Amici
- Unified Coalition Message
- 2021 Hunstein Amici Filers
- Preferred Collection and Mgmt Serv Inc – Appellee Petition for Rehearing
- American Assoc of Healthcare Admin Mgmt
- Arizona Creditors Bar Assoc et al
- Consumer Relations Consortium
- Florida Creditors Bar Assoc
- LiveVox Inc
- Missouri Creditors Bar Inc
- Mortgage Bankers Assoc et al
- National Assoc of Prof Process Servers
- National Creditors Bar Assoc
- NY State Creditors Bar Assoc
- Print & Mail Vendor Coalition – Compumail et al
- Receivables Mgmt Assoc International Inc
- Third Party Payment Processors Assoc
- Transworld et al