Historical Gathering at ACA’s Golden Anniversary Convention & Expo
ACA celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1989 with the theme of “Looking Toward the Future,” established by Board President Ronald Gerdes.
5/15/2019 8:00 AM
Past and future leaders gathered in Minneapolis in July 1989 for ACA International’s 50th Anniversary Convention & Expo to celebrate association accomplishments and discuss the future of the industry.
A record number of past presidents and charter members attended the historical event.
As we approach ACA’s 80th Anniversary Convention & Expo in San Diego July 14-16, 2019, it’s interesting to review some of the highlights from 1989.
- ACA International released its history book The First 50 Years, autographed by 21 past presidents.
- In May 1989, ACA’s data processing division, Data Systemaca, was sold due to rising costs. Board President Ronald Gerdes reflected on the successes of the division and changes caused by the sale in his “Looking Toward the Future” remarks at the convention. Some members did not want the division to be sold but recognized the growing competition in the marketplace.
- Gerdes started his presidency after years of professional experience with credit reporting and collections. In 1963, he worked with the Credit Bureau of Rochester, Minnesota, which had only one other collector in the office. He also served in all the offices within the Minnesota Association of Collection Agencies.
- ACA created its Affiliate Member Division for suppliers of goods and services to the collection industry and signed its first affiliate members in 1990.
- The Board of Directors approved the resurrection of ACA’s Public Relations Department and approved a new department, the Management Resources Department, to provide management, consulting and brokerage services to members.
- ACA’s Education Council introduced new schools focused on management as well as computer-based training to allow members to learn about telephone techniques and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
As the 2019 Convention & Expo approaches, this year is also shaping up to be a historical one for ACA International and the accounts receivable management industry with the release of the long-awaited proposed FDCPA rules from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and increasing advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill.
Register now to be a part of ACA International’s 80th Anniversary Convention & Expo and endless opportunities to connect, engage and learn from your peers. Early-bird rates for the 2019 Convention & Expo at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront are available through May 17, 2019.
The three-day event, July 14-16, 2019, promises to be an experience for accounts receivable management industry professionals to learn, converse, celebrate and discover with their colleagues in sunny San Diego.
ACA past presidents, charter members and staff gathered for reunion dinner in Minneapolis during the 1989 Golden Anniversary Convention & Expo.
Signing copies of ACA’s 50th anniversary history book are past presidents John Bueche from Louisiana and William F. Jones from Massachusetts.
Follow ACA International on Twitter @ACAIntl and @acacollector, Facebook and request to join our LinkedIn group for news and event updates. ACA International members are welcome to submit news items for possible publication to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our publications page for news submission guidelines and subscriptions to ACA Daily, Collector magazine and Pulse.
Advertising is available for companies wishing to promote their products or services. Be sure to visit the ACA Events Calendar on the Education and Training page to view our listing of upcoming CORE Curriculum and Hot Topic seminars featuring critical educational opportunities for your company.