ACA Member Appointed to CFPB Consumer Advisory Board
7/11/2017 4:11 PM
ACA member Ohad Samet will serve a three-year term on the board. The CFPB also named several representatives of the financial services industry, experts in consumer protection and lending to its advisory groups.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau appointed several new members to its Consumer Advisory Board, including ACA International member Ohad Samet, the CEO of TrueAccord in San Francisco.
“I’m honored and excited to have been appointed to the CFPB’s Consumer Advisory Board (CAB). With this appointment, the CFPB is sending a strong message about how it views technology’s role in shaping the future of consumer finance in general, and debt collection in particular,” Samet said in a statement provided to ACA. “I’m proud to be able to represent the industry’s point of view while making sure we usher in a new era of great user experience and technology innovation.
Samet joins the Consumer Advisory Board as Joann Needleman, a CAB member with experience in the debt collection industry, has completed her term. Consumer Advisory Board members serve three-year terms.
In addition to the Consumer Advisory Board, the CFPB also appointed members to the Community Bank Advisory Council, Credit Union Advisory Council and Academic Research Council.
The four bodies provide advice to CFPB leadership on a broad range of consumer financial issues and emerging market trends, according to a news release from the CFPB.
“The bureau’s advisory board and councils play an important role making sure that we are hearing from a wide array of perspectives in the consumer financial marketplace,” said CFPB Director Richard Cordray in the news release.
The newly appointed advisory group members include experts in consumer protection, financial services, community development, fair lending, civil rights, consumer financial products or services, representatives of community banks and credit unions, and scholars with relevant methodological and subject matter experience.
New Consumer Advisory Board Members include:
- Ohad Samet, CEO, TrueAccord, San Francisco.
- Randi Adelstein, assistant general counsel for regulatory affairs, MasterCard International Incorporated, Purchase, N.Y.
- Patricia L. Arvielo, president and co-founder, New American Funding, Tustin, Calif.
- Julie Kalkowski, executive director, Financial Hope Collaborative, Creighton University, Omaha, Neb.
- Brent A. Neiser, senior director, National Endowment for Financial Education, Denver.
- Howard B. Slaughter, Jr., president and CEO, Habitat for Humanity of Greater Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
New Community Bank Advisory Council Members include:
- Richard H. Harvey, Jr., senior vice president and chief compliance officer, Colonial Savings F.A., Fort Worth, Texas.
- Max S. Yates, senior executive vice president and chief risk officer, Bank Plus, Ridgeland, Miss.
New Credit Union Advisory Council Members include:
- Kayce Bell, chief development officer, Alabama Credit Union, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Jack Fallis, president and CEO, Global Credit Union, Spokane, Wash.
- Luis Peralta, chief administrative officer, Kinecta Federal Credit Union, Manhattan Beach, Calif.
- David Tuyo, senior executive vice president and chief financial and operations officer, Power Financial Credit Union, Pembroke Pines, Fla.
The CFPB also appointed John G. Lynch, senior associate dean for faculty and research, Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, Colo., to the Academic Research Council.
Follow ACA on Twitter @ACAIntl and @acacollector or Facebook for news and event updates. ACA’s LinkedIn Group includes news updates, member discussions, event promotions, jobs and more. Visit the group page and request to join today. Subscribe to ACA Daily, Collector magazine and update your communications preferences by logging in to ACA’s website here. ACA members can get email notifications when each new digital issue of Collector magazine is available by logging in here; members and nonmembers can also purchase a print subscription. Nonmembers can create a guest profile on ACA’s website to subscribe to available publications.